Monday 18 March 2013

THE MAN MAD


His clothes torn
His looks ragged
His body dirty and stinky,
The man sat on a pile of rubbish

He brushed away rubbish from rubbish
In search of something
Something indispensable to him

I watched closely
And as I did so, pondered what he could be searching for
So desperately
He stood up and went to another side of the piled rubbish: He continued his frantic search

At last, he pulled out something
It was in the famous black Ghanaian polythene bag
He had kept certain things in his left hand and was therefore compelled to use his right hand to open what seemed to me, what he had been searching for

Carefully, I watched
At what his next step would be
But was no where surprised when I realized it was food
It probably is no news to anyone
And so was it not to me

He opened the leftover food he had found
And I saw him throw some parts of the food he had found away
This was so obvious: he was taking away a part that he knew or sensed could not be eaten away

At this point in time, could I be nothing but marvelled?!

Mad men are said to be psychologically unrivalled
How in God’s name, then did this man, mad, have the notion that the food he had “bought” from the market of rubbish contained unwanted material?!

This definitely isn’t a man mad
For, even with his madness, he still has sense
Yet, a senseless man is said to be mad

Then to me, he is the sense man mad

2 comments:

  1. This piece was an observation i i made five years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very true, a senseless man epitomizes the worse form of madness,

    ReplyDelete